2009年4月20日月曜日

NOTES FROM CANADA

I must admit that I’m not really a sports fan. However, I know that many of you are. I was very surprised recently to discover that one of my students from Japan is a huge fan of Canadian hockey, and that her favorite team is the Vancouver Canucks! They are doing great right now, as they lead in their quarter-final series. “Canuck” – Now there’s an interesting word, and an example of how the English language changes over time. Historically this word has several meanings, but most notably it has been, until quite recently, a derogatory term for French Canadians. Now it is a term that is becoming recognized world-wide to refer to all Canadians. Perhaps we can contribute this positive shift to the Canadian hockey team! Spring is slow coming to Toronto, and I listen enviously as my students talk about cherry blossom time in Japan. Take care! Gloria